Yemen News

Yemeni Cameraman Killed in Saudi Airstrike on Aljawf Province

07/01/2018
Yemeni Cameraman Killed in Saudi Airstrike on Aljawf Province

Yemeni Cameraman Killed in Saudi Airstrike on Aljawf Province

One of the cameramen of the Yemeni Almasirah television network has lost his life while producing a report on the damage caused by Saudi Arabia’s devastating aerial bombardment campaign in the country’s northern province of Aljawf.
Almasirah said in a statement that Safir Talib al-Shami was reporting from Khabb and Sha'af district in Aljawf, located approximately 110 kilometers north of the capital Sana'a, on Friday evening when Saudi fighter jets struck the area.
The death of the cameraman is a grim reminder of the risks journalists face while reporting on the Yemen war, which the Saudi regime and its allies launched more than two and half years ago.
On May 26 last year, cameramen Takieddin al-Hudhaifi and Wael al-Absi were killed while covering fighting between Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, and Ansarullah fighters on the eastern outskirts of the southwestern Yemeni city of Taiz.
Separately on Saturday, Yemeni army soldiers and allied fighters from Popular Committees fatally shot a Saudi soldier at Jahfan military base in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border region of Jizan, located 967 kilometers southwest of Riyadh.
Yemeni snipers also killed two Saudi mercenaries in the Tebe al-Khazan and Jabal Sabhatal areas of Saudi Arabia’s Asir region.
Furthermore, Yemeni forces and their allies launched a salvo of artillery rounds at the gatherings of Saudi mercenaries in the kingdom’s Najran region, leaving scores of them dead or injured.
 At least 13,600 people have been killed since the onset of Saudi Arabia’s military campaign against Yemen in 2015. Much of the Arabian Peninsula country's infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war.
The Saudi-led war has also triggered a deadly cholera epidemic across Yemen.
According to the World Health Organization’s latest tally, the cholera outbreak has killed 2,167 people since the end of April and is suspected to have infected 841,906.
On November 26, the United Nations children’s agency (UNICEF) said that more than 11 million children in Yemen were in acute need of aid, stressing that it was estimated that every 10 minutes a child died of a preventable disease there.
Additionally, the UN has described the current level of hunger in Yemen as “unprecedented,” emphasizing that 17 million people are now food insecure in the country.
It added that 6.8 million, meaning almost one in four people, do not have enough food and rely entirely on external assistance.